Effective September 1, 2023, a new City of Evanston Fair Workweek Ordinance will require employers—in the following industries with varying employee count thresholds: hospitality, food service, retail, warehouse service, manufacturing, and building services—to provide their employees with:
- Advance notice of their work schedules;
- Schedule change notice with the right to decline previously unscheduled, added hours;
- Compensation for schedule changes;
- Additional working hours before offering the hours to new or contract employees;
- The right to rest;
- The right to request a flexible working arrangement; and
- Notice of their rights under the law.
Employees covered by the ordinance must work for a covered employer, perform at least two hours of work in Evanston in a calendar week, and qualify for minimum wage. Employers can’t retaliate against an employee for asking about or exercising their rights under the law.