Maryland FAMLI Implementation Date and Program Changes
Effective June 1, 2023, the Maryland Family and Medical Leave Insurance (FAMLI) program implementation dates will be:
- October 1, 2024, instead of 2023, for employers with 15 or more employees to begin program contributions.
- January 1, 2026, instead of 2025, for covered employees to begin submitting program claims.
Despite the delayed implementation dates, the total rate of employer and employee contributions will still be set on or around October 1, 2023, and won’t exceed 1.2% of an employee’s wages. This rate will be effective from October 1, 2024, to June 30, 2026. Some additional changes (but not all) include:
- A 50-50 split in the cost-sharing formula for program contributions between employers and employees; and
- The addition of domestic partners to the definition of covered family members and child bonding.
The Maryland Department of Labor is expected to release more information and guidance. In the meantime, it has selected the program’s assistant secretary.
Latest posts by Corey Kirk (see all)
- Keep Cyber Security Top Priority Year Round - November 30, 2022
- Password Security: How to Keep Your Business Safe - September 29, 2022