District of Columbia: Tip Credit Eliminated
On November 8, 2022, District of Columbia voters elected to eliminate the District’s tip credit and ensure tipped workers receive a higher base wage. Under Initiative Measure 82, the District of Columbia Tip Credit Elimination Act of 2021 would gradually increase the tipped minimum wage rate (currently $5.35) to match the minimum wage of non-tipped employees (currently $16.10) until 2027. According to the act, the tipped minimum wage will be:
- $6 per hour on January 1, 2023;
- $8 per hour on July 1, 2023;
- $10 per hour on July 1, 2024;
- $12 per hour on July 1, 2025; and
- $14 per hour on July 1, 2026.
District of Columbia: 2022 PFL Notice to Employees
In October 2022, the Office of Paid Family Leave published the 2022 Employee Worksite Notice for DC Employers, which must be posted by employers in a place where all workers can see it. The notice has information about who’s covered by the DC Paid Family Leave (PFL) law, what events trigger it (i.e., childbirth, pregnancy, etc.), how long workers can take leave, how to apply for benefits, benefit amounts, and employee protections. The PFL law provides covered employees paid time off from work for qualifying parental, family, medical, and prenatal events. Read more on the District’s website.
Effective January 1, 2023
- Keep Cyber Security Top Priority Year Round - November 30, 2022
- Password Security: How to Keep Your Business Safe - September 29, 2022